Saturday, June 5, 2010

148 hills on the road, unbelievable!


Today was our first day of experiencing rain. I don't think the picture that Doug took on the road this morning does the weather we were experiencing justice, because it was more menacing and the clouds were darker.

It was so bad that we delayed our 7:15 start to 7:35. In addition to cycling today we became "storm chasers" too. We wanted to stay behind the storm and let it roll through. Great idea, but we still got wet and had to stop at mile 25. Yeah, we were riding to fast and had caught up with the storm.

After the storm passed we could concentrate on the 75 miles we rode today. Beginning at mile 25 the fun really started as we rode 148 hills for the last 50 miles. The hills were a bit easier to ride today because you could get a rhythm, at the top of the hill you peddle as fast as you can going down so that hopefully your speed carries you up to the top of the next hill and if it doesn't then you shift down to your granny gear and slowly peddle up to the top of the hill. Try doing that 148 times in 50 miles and you get the idea of what the ride was like today!

My last 8 miles I hit rain again, but at that point all I wanted to do is get to the hotel so I could wash my bike off which was filthy and myself as I was also filthy. If I hadn't had a back flat tire at the sag stop at mile 50 I might have been able to get to the hotel prior to the rain starting up again, but hey you ride in the weather at the time.

So today I rode 75 miles into Kirksville, MO. from Chillicothe in 5 hours and 14 minutes at a speed of 14.3 mph. Based on 148 hills today I am happy with that!!!!

The "Snake Report" had another uneventful day, Barbie I hope you didn't see any either! I did see a lot of smooched snapping turtles and I think armadillos.

No comments:

Post a Comment