Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Rain rain go away!!!


Today we were allowed to leave 45 minutes early because of the threat of rain, thunder and lightening. As you can see by my biking attire, I was so ready for that bad weather. Didn't bother me that everyone laughed and thought that I "over" dressed. I'm know for over dressing, ha, ha. By the way my rain pants came off within the first 15 miles!!

The ride today was windy and I don't mean in a good way, no tail winds for us, only those nasty cross and head winds for most of the day. At the first sag in Chestnut, I looked around the corner of the building we stopped at and saw an interesting sight. Built behind a house was a chicken coop. Not something you would see every day in Richmond unless you live in the country or at Meade's house on the James River.
The rest of the day was pretty uneventful until after the second sag. About a mile after leaving the second sag it began to rain. it finally happened, our first measurable rain since beginning the trip in California.
I was doing fine until about mile 83 of the 87 mile ride. While riding over a second set of wet railroad tracks that were at a sharp angle, I suddenly took a sharp angle...down! Yep I laid my bike down on the road and ended up with a few scratches on my right leg and one beauty of a egg size bruise on the back of the my upper right leg and a huge bruise on my ego! Oh well I'm in good company two other riders took a spill at the same railroad tracks. I've officially been initiated into the "spill club".
Up to that point I had been riding for 5 hours and 50 minutes at an average speed of 14.2 mph, like I said the wind was strong and against us for most of the day.
One other thing, the "Snake Report" there was one lonely smooched snake on the road today.

No comments:

Post a Comment