Monday, June 7, 2010


Today was a long ride, 107 miles from Quincy to Springfield. The day was overcast so the temperature was perfect for the ride and the roads were good. No shoulders to rate since most of the ride we actually cycled on the road. Because we had such a long ride, I must admit that I didn't take to many pictures for fear I would be "tail hook Charlie" today!

On the route sheet mile 46.2 it read "CAUTION:Narrow bridge over Illinois River, No Shoulder" ..... so here is a picture of that narrow bridge without a shoulder. It was a bit daunting, but I made it over and in one piece! By the way the bridge was over the Illinois River.

At mile 69.1, our second sag stop was at a Dairy Queen, so I knew that I would need substance to make the last 38 miles and got a grill cheese sandwich. It was like pure energy and I was able to ride into Springfield with a little energy to spare. Before getting into town I saw one more sign that I want to share...it was for a bar and grill called Halfway There... from almost anywhere.

I rode today's ride in 7 hours and 3 minutes at an average speed of 15.3 mph. A very respectable day, but I will admit that when I got to the hotel, I was ready to get off my saddle!

Today's "Snake Report" has one more to add to the count, not smooched but it was headless, yikes!!!!
I also want to thank Pete and Sharon for the invitation to their cook out. Sorry I missed it but greatly appreciate the invite!!!!

2 comments:

  1. I remember that bridge - for some reason it spooked me and I think I rode that span about as fast as any sprint I've ever done. I remember stopping on the other side for breath and was just glad to be back on terra firma.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that bridge also and a truck that was following behind me.

    ReplyDelete