Saturday, June 12, 2010

Riding in the rain, I'm riding in the rain.....

It's raining, I mean really raining this morning and there is no way getting around it, we'll be cycling in the rain. I'm ready for the rain with my new rain jacket. Today is the hardest it's rained since we began our ride in Manhattan Beach some 37 days ago. Our computers were covered with baggies and all our lights were on so that we could be seen.

Within 5 minutes my shoes were soaked and over the next four hours it only got worse. I knew by the time I got to the hotel, my feet would be webbed! Can you say "quack, quack!"

We cycled on country roads again and because it was Saturday there were very few cars on the roads. This was good for us so that we could concentrate on riding. Because of the rain I didn't take many pictures today. One picture I did take, as we rode into Richmond, IN. was very connected to the reason I'm riding. In a yard that we cycled by was a memorial for our fallen heroes. It said "In memory of our heroes" and had a helmet sitting on top of a rifle and a pair of boots in front in addition to the US flag. Very moving!
My ride was 83 miles today and took 5 hours and 30 minutes at an average speed of 15.1 mph. Despite the rain in the morning we kept a great speed.
As you can probably guess the Snake Report for today has no sightings of any snakes, alive or smooched.

2 comments:

  1. Snakes are too smart to come out in the rain - unlike cross-country bike riders!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blame the rain on Kathy. That's all we've had for a week. Those surprise visits are the best. Got one from my son for my birthday.

    ReplyDelete