Friday, June 11, 2010

Riding through the Indiana countryside

Today's ride was great! We rode mostly on small country roads and made me feel like I was back in Hanover county on a Saturday morning ride. Not a shoulder to be found, just lots of pretty countryside to see and smooth roads for the most part.

Our sag today was at the Gentry Farm. CrossRoads has been stopping here for years. We were even welcome to use the bathroom in their house....no "green door" today!! That was welcome news, that was until I noticed as I stepped up onto the deck by the back door and saw their watch snakes.... yeah you heard me! They weren't moving to quickly so I jumped over them, there were two, and flew through the door.
Later in the afternoon as we arrived in Indianapolis, we rode over to the Major Taylor Velodrome to see it, I've never seen a Velodrome and then to actually take a ride around the track. I started slow and low on the track but as I built up my courage I rode a little high up the track. It was lots of fun! Major Taylor was a black cyclist who tried competed on the Velodrome tracks in Indiana, I believe in the 70's but wasn't well received so went to Europe where he successfully competed.
Today's ride 64 miles but due to our detour to the Velodrome, it was more like 74 miles. I rode for 5 hours and 30 minutes today and the average speed before heading to the Velodrome was 15.0 mph. Another sunny some what windy day of riding, think I'm getting use to the wind.
Once again, it's time for the "snake report". I'm happy to say the only snakes I saw were the two slow moving ones on the back deck at the Gentry Farm. In fact during our ride today there really wasn't much smooched "stuff" on the road at all.

1 comment: