Wednesday, June 30, 2010

18 Miles to the Atlantic Ocean

I know that everyone has been waiting for my entry on the last day of my ride. For the record, I was so busy on that last day after getting back to the hotel, you know getting cleaned up, doing my laundry, (wouldn't have wanted to lose my "Laundry Queen" title) and going out for the celebratory lunch with Jan then back to the hotel to watch my bike get packed. Note to self, always make sure you are there, I almost ended up with Jan's front tire and she with mine OOPS, but as Kevin always said "It's all good!" and everything worked out

I also tried to write my entry on Saturday evening, I tired 3 times but just couldn't get my head around what I had just accomplished. I'm writing my entry now; 5 days following the end of my incredible cycling journey, because I have a handle on what I want to say....how much space do I have????

As we rode the last 18 miles together through the streets of Boston, both on and off of the cue sheet, I felt sad that the trip was coming to an end but very happy that I wouldn't have to get up at 5:00 a.m. anymore to get ready for each day's ride and was excited to get home to my "Boys". As I thought back to some of the days I cycled; like up Mingus Mountain, the flat roads of Kansas with the horrific headwinds, our afternoon ride to Wooster, OH. with the 12-18% grade hills and the 7 mile climb up Green Mountain and then up Hog Back Mountain on the same day, it began to hit home as to what I had accomplished and the fun that I had doing it along with the sore muscles and smelling like "Pepie la Pue". It was all worth the hours of training and even worth the dinner at The Sands....well almost worth the dinner at The Sands.

When I began my trip 7 weeks ago there were two other ladies going across the country, in addition to myself. All three of us made it across with all the "Big Dog" guys that began "with us"...what's the saying "Women Rule" ha, ha! I am thrilled and delighted to have shared my 3,465 mile journey, (this includes some miles were I got lost and the ride on the Major Taylors Velodrome) with all of my cycling buddies. You all have helped to make my trip amazing and unforgettable. You helped keep me going when I thought my legs couldn't peddle another stroke and made the "boring roads" bearable. I'll always remember to "Make the most of the day" or was it "I had a Mimosa today"....hey either one works for me especially when I'm waiting to meet Lenny Dawson....Craig I'm still waiting! To the "Tailend Charlie Group" I'll be looking for a cycling route at home that includes a Dairy Queen for sure and who knows may even take time to take some photos during my future rides.
I also want to thank all my friends and family for their support when I began talking about my "crazy" idea to cycle across the country. Yes, I knew that's what cars were made for and I hope in the end you understood "Why" I wanted to take this journey. I especially appreciate all your encouraging words and e-mails as well as your donations to the Injured Marine Semper Fi Fund.
5 days after completing my trip, I'm still "bikeless" and eagerly awaiting for my bike to arrive. I've rested during these five days and am working at getting back into my routine at home. One thing though remainds the same....I'm so ready to get back out there and cycle some more. Yep, some things never change not even cycling for the past seven weeks for 3,465 miles!!!
If you have a dream remember this: "Happy are those who dream dreams and are ready to pay the price to make them come true!" I have accomplished my dream and I'm over the moon happy!!! Now go out there and accomplish yours.

2 comments:

  1. Worth the wait. Thanks for sharing.

    RSRO (ride safely, ride often),
    Jim (XC09)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lady
    I am so glad you enjoyed this odyssey of yours. Really enjoyed following your progress, thanks for taking the time in May to visit
    Congratulations

    Michael

    ReplyDelete