Monday, May 10, 2010

34 MPH Without Pedaling, What A Day


Day 2 of my excellent adventure began with riding with headwinds and hills. On my way to the five mile hill, the winds were blowing, but not as bad as they blew in the afternoon...more about that later. I had to ride in my lowest gear to get up the hill at a speed of only 6-7 miles. I was very happy when I got to the top, because I didn't train on any hill like that!

No that picture is not of the hill I climbed. I took that picture right before turning onto the road that leads into Palm Springs from I-10. I thought it was pretty and I was really glad our route didn't take us there!!!!
The rest of the ride was very windy, we hit one area where there are fields of windmills and the 5 mile stretch along the fields you don't even have to peddle and you still cruise along. I hit 34 MPH and wasn't even peddling, it was crazy.

The road into Palm Springs was extremely windy but in a good way, because it was a tail wind! I was so happy. I finished my ride in 5 hours and about 15 minutes with an average speed of 15.6. That was 15 minutes faster then yesterdays ride and my average speed was a mile faster, plus we rode 85 miles today and yesterday we only rode 75. There is a math question in here somewhere, just can't figure out what it is......math was never my best subject.
Thanks to the "Big Dogs" for letting me ride with you the last 23 miles from Palm Springs into Indio. I appreciated the company and the draft.
Also want to thank Mike, another WSC alumni, for driving up from San Diego to visit. I enjoyed our dinner and the opportunity to get caught up.

1 comment:

  1. This is great reading. So proud of you to even attempt this and I know you will finish. You seem to be meeting all sorts of people. Hope there are more along the way.
    It is windy in Palm Springs - guess that's why there is a wind farm there. Glad the wind helped you out and was not a hinderance. I hate the wind. I'll be in touch. Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete