Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Cruising Down Route 66

Today was a very special day for me. It began with visiting the Navajo Code Talker Museum.

To see the memorabilia of these brave Navajo Indians who joined the USMC in WWII was very moving. As we all know it was the Navajo Code Talkers that helped to win the war in the Pacific.

After visiting the Museum I headed out onto Route 66..."Cookie, Cookie lead me your comb. OMG I've just shown my age!!!

It was an enjoyable ride until we got on Route 40. If yesterday the shoulders were rated a 8.5 today I rate the shoulders a negative 10, they were so hard to ride through with all the gravel and then we rode into a work zone where tar was being layed so we hopped off our bikes and walked them past the machine that was laying the tar.

Back on Route 66 we crossed the Continental Divide, elevation 7,275 feet. The last 37 miles of the day went smoothly and it was great to see the DQ in Grants, New Mexico where we all stopped for a well deserved lunch. I'm really loving the DQ grill cheese sandwiches they make, they really hit the spot as do the french fries. These are my two new "refueling" foods! Can you say "Please Sir, my I have some more?" boys and girls!!!

Today we rode 68 miles my average mph was 17.3, I'm thanking the wind Gods for that, and finished the ride in 3 hours and 55 minutes. Bob, no snakes again today, but we did get a few "barking" greetings from some four legged furry locals. Thank goodness for the fences that are put up by the NMDOT to keep them off the highways.

1 comment:

  1. I see that I-40 has not changed much from last year as this was one of the worst roads we biked.

    ReplyDelete