Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Riding into the fog

This morning's ride began with fog, extremely dense fog, the kind that makes your sun glasses wet from the fog. For the first 5 miles I was constantly wiping off the lenses of my sun glasses. Then as we got further out of town it was gone.

I stop at 20 miles today to see the Cowboy statue, kind of a smaller version of "Big Tex" at the State Fair of Texas. I hope that you can see it as the weather was still cloudy. In fact we were all thinking that this was going to be our first day of rain.

Our first sag today was at 30 miles at a DQ boy was I excited!! But as I pulled in I realized I should have ridden slower because the DQ wasn't open yet. No grill cheese sandwich for me and had to use the "green door" again.

After heading out on the road after the first sag we ran into those nasty head winds again. This makes riding so slow!!! As I rolled into the state sign for Oklahoma, I felt like I had been riding for 40 miles when in fact I had only ridden 20 miles. Those 20 miles were really hard because of the winds.

After riding so hard but going so slow because of the head winds, I ran into Rick who asked if I wanted to draft off his bike for the last 20 miles into Guymon, OK. I was so thankful for the offer and the opportunity to ride with Rick, otherwise I might have still been on the road right right now, instead of sitting here writing my blog. Rick you are my hero!!! Thank you so much for your kindness and strong riding skills! :) :) I rode 72 miles today in about 5 hours 12 minutes, at a speed of 14.0 mph.

Today's "Snake Report" saw lots of smooched snakes, maybe 6 and one that was newly smooched. That was a little scary because we couldn't tell if it was alive of smooched until we were right on it. Needless to say, I was gave it a wide berth!

2 comments:

  1. Its the plump snakes that give me the creeps. and those poor little turtles...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor little snakes.........I just found the way to get in and read all your snake info. Stay calm and ride around them quickly. Sounds as if you are getting along OK. Just keep in mind that Chris Daum is waiting to squire you two out for supper when you have the rest day in Canandaguia NY.

    ReplyDelete