Tuesday, May 25, 2010

From New Mexico to Texas

Today before we left on our ride, I had a conversation with a motorcyclist who was riding to "The Wall" in DC for Memorial Day and "The Rolling Thunder". He had been a Marine in the Vietnam War. Semper Fi Marine, safe travels.

Today's ride was 96 miles on straight roads, not many hills and manageable winds "whoopee". We rode from New Mexico into Texas and found that it's true about "everything being bigger in Texas". The shoulders were so wide that three cyclists could ride side by side.
I rate these shoulders a 9.5 because of how clean they were and smooth, smooth that is until the last 25 miles when they turned into an aggregate type road. Can you say "bumpy, bumpy, bumpy"!
I rode the 96 miles in 5 hours and 50 minutes at a average speed of 16.4 mph. I was very happy with my day and for the most part very happy with my ride. I especially appreciate Craig riding the last 30 miles with me. It kept me focused and on pace!
And now for the local "Snake Report". Today Bob was a good day for seeing smooched rattle snakes, I must have seen at least five, but I also saw a turtle trying to get across the shoulder, in fact I think he's still working his way across the shoulder. Hopefully by tomorrow he will have reached the other side!

No comments:

Post a Comment