Saturday, May 29, 2010

Getting the heck out of Dodge

Today we "got The Heck out of Dodge City" on a bight and beautiful day. I'm wearing my "Big Dogs" jersey to give me added incentive to ride strong.

We knew that we would have cross winds early in the day, but then later in the day on the way into Great Bend, KS. we were hoping to have a tail wind. We got lucky and the winds were definitely manageable today, even the cross winds.

One of our interesting stops today was Midway USA located in Kinsey, KS. It marks the half way point between New York and San Francisco, 1,530 miles. I also noticed all the flags that were out for the weekend for Memorial Day. It's nice to know that our hero's are remembered and cherished for the love of their country and their sacrifices.
The ride today was 86 miles into Great Bend, KS. I road it in 5 hours and 4 minutes at a speed of 17 mph. The route we rode to the hotel took us through some of the local neighborhoods of Great Bend where we saw street signs that were all names after past Presidents.
The "Snake Report" is still continuing to add up, I saw 4 smooched snakes today. Including one that I saw slithering rather quickly into the tall grasses along side the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment