Sunday, May 9, 2010

Los Angeles to Boston...Or how to ride your butt off in 7 weeks


Today I began my journey to Boston by taking my wheel down to the Pacific Ocean. The weather was over cast and cool, perfect for beginning a 78 mile ride. We road through Manhattan Beach and many other towns, to many to remember, but what I do remember are all the stop lights. If there were 30 there had to be 50. It was unbelievable how many we rode through to get to Riverside, CA.

Our total miles were supposed to be 78, but two other riders and I ended up with an extra miles on our computers...can you say "Lost" boys and girls?

But that's not the best part of my day. Before even leaving the parking lot of the hotel, while trying to pump up my front tire, one of my fellow riders asked if I needed "help" and proceeded to take the pump from me and began pumping up my back tire...then before I knew it, my brand new tube exploded! Can we say "Oh Darn!?!?!?" boys and girls... I now have the dubious "honor" of being the only person who has had a flat tire before even getting out of the hotel parking lot! I don't consider this a flat, it was an equipment malfunction.
The ride took 5 and a half hours with head winds the last 15 miles. I was very happy with this and after a good nights sleep I'm looking forward to day 2. Upward and onward to Indio, CA.
Are we there yet???

1 comment:

  1. Way to go sister....Got the first "equipment malfunction" with the flat tire and now that fear of the "first flat" is behind you! Hope day 2 brings tailwinds and many photo opportunities! Proud of you and that your cross country journey has begun. xo, Kath

    ReplyDelete